Pintupi language group
born about 1943
Born near Kiwirrkura in the Gibson Desert, Tjungurrayi came to Papunya via Mount Doreen Station and Yuendumu, to the north. He began painting for Papunya Tula Artists at West Camp, Papunya, in 1976, and continued intermittently during the 1970s and more regularly after settling in Kintore in the early 1980s with his wife and five children.
In the late 1990s he switched from painting classic Tingarri themes to his trademark topographical linework for his first solo exhibitions in Australia's eastern state capitals, earning immediate acclaim.
Click on the image below to see a larger version and more information, including dimensions. Please note this image is not to scale.