- Year levels
$100 per class
For availability and to book, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
How many years have Indigenous peoples been living in Australia?
How are Country, culture and people interconnected?
What can we learn from Indigenous objects?
In this program students handle and explore a range of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander objects to help them understand the ways in which Indigenous cultures have evolved and adapted in the last 200 years.
- Identify and understand connections to Country, ways Indigenous people express culture and identify the contributions of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
- Discuss aspects of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander culture including identity, diversity and spirituality.
Cross-curriculum priority: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Histories and Cultures
- Australia has two distinct Indigenous groups: Aboriginal peoples and Torres Strait Islander peoples, and within those groups there is significant diversity.
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities maintain a special connection to and responsibility for Country/place.
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples have holistic belief systems and are spiritually and intellectually connected to the land, sea, sky and waterways.
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander societies have many language groups.
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples’ ways of life are uniquely expressed through ways of being, knowing, thinking and doing.
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples live in Australia as first peoples of Country or place and demonstrate resilience in responding to historic and contemporary impacts of colonisation.
- The broader Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander societies encompass a diversity of nations across Australia.
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples' family and kinship structures are strong and sophisticated.
- The significant contributions of Aboriginal peoples and Torres Strait Islander peoples in the present and past are acknowledged locally, nationally and globally.