Inside the Museum
There are people throughout the Museum who can help you.
You will see hosts all around the Museum. They will all be wearing the same uniform. Our hosts are friendly and ready to assist you. They can:
- help you find your way
- give you information about displays
- answer your questions.
You will also see security staff throughout the building. You can ask security staff for help if:
- you need first aid
- you are hurt or feeling sick
- you are lost
- you have lost something
- you can’t find someone
- you feel unsafe.
The Museum has two kinds of galleries: permanent galleries, where exhibitions are on display for a long time, and temporary galleries, where exhibitions change regularly. The entrance to the permanent galleries looks like this:
The permanent galleries you can visit are:
The Museum has three temporary galleries:
- Temporary gallery (a large gallery that is accessed from the Gandel Atrium)
- Studio gallery (a small gallery that is accessed from the Gandel Atrium)
- Focus gallery (a small gallery located within the First Australians gallery).
For information on temporary exhibitions, visit nma.gov.au/whats-on
When you are in the galleries, you can:
- talk in a quiet voice
- look at the displays
- touch interactive displays.
- have food or drink
- carry large bags or umbrellas.
Many of our exhibitions are free, but costs apply for some temporary exhibitions. Concessions are available for:
- seniors cardholders (all states and territories)
- international visitors over 60 years old
- international student cardholders
- Australian student cardholders
- Centrelink Health Care Card holders
- Centrelink Pensioner Concession Card holders
- Australian Veteran Gold Card holders.
Unisex accessible toilets, baby change tables and ambulant toilets are available on all levels of the Museum.
The Museum has the ACT’s first Changing Places change room, with a fully accessible public toilet, adult change table and hoist. It is located on the lower ground floor, near Kspace.
Faith and Quiet Room
The Museum has a Faith and Quiet Room. You can use it for:
It is located on the first floor, above the entrance to the First Australians gallery.
The Museum Cafe
The Museum Cafe can be accessed from the Gandel Atrium. If it is too noisy, you can sit outside or order your food to take away. For more information, including a menu, visit nma.gov.au/visit-us/cafe
The Museum Shop
The Museum Shop is located in the Gandel Atrium. For more information, visit nma.gov.au/visit-us/shop.
The Friends Lounge is a quiet place for Museum Friends to relax. You can become a member online at nma.gov.au/join-support/memberships.
Outside the Museum
The Museum has beautiful outdoor spaces:
- Christina and Trevor Kennedy Garden
- Garden of Australian Dreams
- Lakeside Amphitheatre.