- Ancient Heritage, Modern Society (Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade) - introduction to Australian history covering European settlement, a nation is born, the impact of war, post-war prosperity, and a changing society
- European Discovery and the Colonisation of Australia - Australian government Culture and Recreation Portal) - includes links to other Australian history sites dealing with specific topics.
- History and Policy - connecting historians, policymakers and the media
- Australian Dictionary of Biography Online concise, authoritative accounts of the lives of significant and representative persons in Australian history.
- Who's Who in Australia
- Who's Who and Who Was Who available via XreferPlus
- Obituaries Australia - a digital repository of obituaries published in newspapers, journals, magazines and bulletins. Hosted by The National Centre of Biography at the Australian National University.
- Register of the National Estate - list of natural and cultural heritage places, maintained by the Australian Heritage Council. The Register includes historic places, natural areas and places of importance to indigenous people
- Australian Memory of the World Register - a selective list of Australia's significant documentary heritage
- Picture Australia - pictures of people, places and events in the collections of cultural agencies, in Australia and overseas
- Australian National Shipwreck Database
- Australian Heritage Council
- Australian Heritage Directory
- Australian Heritage Places Inventory
- Australian Heritage Bibliography (formerly HERA)
- The Proceedings of the Old Bailey, 1674-1913
A fully searchable edition of the largest body of texts detailing the lives of non-elite people ever published, containing 197,745 criminal trials held at London's central criminal court.
- Convict Transportation Registers Database
This database has been compiled from British Home Office records, and contains details of over 123,000 convicts sent to New South Wales, Van Diemen's Land, Moreton Bay, Western Australia and Norfolk Island. The records cover the period 1787 to 1867.
- Irish History Online - an authoritative guide (in progress) to what has been written about Irish history from earliest times to the present
- Australian Bureau of Statistics Time Series most ABS statistics can be downloaded as a time series
- How much is that? - discusses how to calculate prices into modern equivalence
- This Day - BBC News search by date Perpetual Calendar - a calculator which enables you to find appropriate years when you know only the day of the week, the date, and the month
- Place names search - locate even tiny and obscure places
- Measuring worthThis site has calculators which convert money by several different measures
- Australian Council of Professional Historians Associations (ACPHA) - professional associations for historians.
Guides to unpublished sources
- National Archives of Australia - holder of records of Commonwealth government agencies and significant individuals within the government
- Archives of Australia - information about archives around Australia
- Register of Australian Archives and Manuscripts (RAAM) - non-government records held in Australian archival institutions
- Noel Butlin Archives Centre - archives of business and labour
- AHRR - Australian Historic Records Register - archival material held in private ownership in Australia
- Guide to Australian Literary Manuscripts
- Prime Ministerial papers - PMs archives in Australia and overseas
- Guides to Science Archives - Australian Science and technology heritage Centre
- Overseas sources of Australian historical documents
Digitised historical documents
- Australian Literary and Historical Texts - part of the SETIS project (Scholarly Electronic Text and Image Service at the University of Sydney Library) hundreds of Australian literary and historical texts.
- Australian History (Project Gutenberg of Australia)
- Topic specific
- Australia's Prime Ministers
- Documents on Australian Foreign Policy
- Eureka on trial - Archives of the Eureka Stockade
- Australian Federation full text database - University of Sydney
- Documenting a democracy - a joint Centenary of Federation effort by state & territory government archives
- Federation gateway - National Library of Australia
- Records of the constitutional conventions of the 1890s - Department of the Senate
- Ned Kelly - ned online - documents on the Kelly outbreak at Public Record Office Victoria
- Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) PROV's Digitised Records and Online Indexes
- South Seas - concentrates on the history of European voyaging and cross-cultural encounters in the Pacific between 1760 and 1800. Provides access to the full text of works such as James Cook&s Endeavour Journal
- Australian Journals OnLine - searchable database of Australian electronic journal websites
- Australian Newspapers OnLine - links to current titles and to the cooperative project to digitise old newspapers
- Indexes to the Illustrated London News - source of illustrations and engravings from what was once the primary illustrated newspaper.
[Note: Care has been taken in selecting these links for your convenience. However their provision does not necessarily constitute endorsement of the material at that site, the organisation providing the site, or the continued veracity of the link.]
Page last updated: 23 October 2012