We are updating our new website in stages. This page will be changed to the new design but is not currently optimised for mobile devices.
Teacup that may have belonged to Captain James Cook, about 1770
Photo: George Serras.
Where and how it was made
This teacup and saucer were probably made in an English pottery in the late 1700s. English porcelain was produced in centres such as Chelsea, Bow, Worcester and Derby, and drew on designs from China and Continental Europe. The orange flowers were probably applied using a transfer, while the pink roses and green foliage were handpainted. Transfer printing sped up production and helped English manufacturers compete with Chinese imports.
Left: This engraving shows the first Worcester porcelain factory at Warmstry House on the River Severn in 1752. Courtesy: Worcester Porcelain Museum.
Where and how it was traded
The teacup and saucer were probably purchased as part of a larger tea set from a pottery showroom in a large town or city.
Left: Crockery for sale at the Wedgwood and Byerley Showroom, St James's Square, London, in the early 1800s. Courtesy: Guildhall Library, City of London/The Bridgeman Art Library.
Where and how it was used
Captain James Cook may have used the teacup and saucer. Frank Thompson, who donated the item to the Australian Government, was descended from Margaret Fleck, James Cook's sister. The cup and saucer were part of a tea set that had been passed down through the generations to Mr Thompson and his sisters.
Right: This selection of items from a Worcester tea service about 1775 includes tea and coffee pots, a variety of plates, teacups, a milk jug, a sugar bowl and a tea caddy. Courtesy: Perrins Museum, Worcestershire, UK/The Bridgeman Art Library.
How it came to be collected
The cup and saucer were donated to the Australian Government by Frank Thompson in August 1975. Thompson, an Englishman living in America, felt that a museum in Australia would be the 'rightful place' for an important relic of Captain James Cook. The cup and saucer became part of the National Historical Collection and were transferred to the National Museum of Australia in 1981.
Spot the difference!
Top left: Teacup that may have belonged to Captain James Cook, about 1770. Photo: George Serras.
Bottom left: This is a teacup from the same service, held by the Cook Birthplace Museum in Marton-in-Cleveland, Yorkshire. Photo: Cook Birthplace Museum.