WARNING: Visitors should be aware that this website includes images and names of deceased people that may cause sadness or distress to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
Warakurna: All the Stories Got into our Minds and Eyes is an exhibition of contemporary paintings and sculptures that document a new art movement emerging from the Western Desert community of Warakurna.
On show in New South Wales
The Warakurna exhibition is on show at:
- Griffith Regional Art Gallery, Griffith, NSW, 16 January 2016 – 27 April 2016
- Cowra Regional Art Gallery, Cowra, NSW, 25 June 2016 – 31 Jul 2016
- Broken Hill Regional Art Gallery, Broken Hill, NSW, August – September 2016
- New England Regional Art Museum, Armidale, NSW, November 2016 – February 2017
About the exhibition
These paintings combine familiar Western Desert symbols and dots with a new, more figurative style, to recreate scenes of everyday life and to tell historical and contemporary stories.
The works are the creative vision of a group of artists including Eunice Yunurupa Porter, Judith Yinyika Chambers, Dianne Ungukalpi Golding, Jean Inyalanka Burke and Dorcas Tinamayi Bennett.
The Warakurna paintings are not just art, they recount incidents and remember people that have impacted on the artists' lives.
Ngurrangka-latju nyinarra tjamuku kaparliku ngurrangka. Tjukurrpa ngaparrku-ngaparrku nintira nyuntulu-yan kulira nintirrinytjaku. We are living in our grandfathers' and grandmothers' country. We are sharing our stories with you so that you can learn about them.
Eunice Yunurupa Porter
Exhibition launch at the National Museum on 6 December 2012
The exhibition has been on show at:
- National Museum of Australia, Canberra,7 December 2012 to 3 November 2013
- Godinymayin Yijard Rivers Arts and Culture Centre, Katherine, Northern Territory, 20 June to 2 August 2014
- Port Pirie Regional Art Gallery, Port Pirie, South Australia, 19 December 2014 to 26 January 2015
- Western Australian Museum, Geraldton, Western Australia, 13 March to 24 May 2015
- Western Australian Museum, Albany, Western Australia, 6 June to 24 August 2015
- Western Australian Museum, Kalgoorlie-Boulder, Western Australia, 19 September to 25 October 2015
- Western Australian Museum, Perth, Western Australia, 7 November 2015 to 10 January 2016