We are updating our new website in stages. This page will be changed to the new design but is not currently optimised for mobile devices.
Public forum: Symbols of Australia
Wednesday 9 June 2010
Join comedian Rod Quantock, historians and other writers for an entertaining, provocative and controversial look at Australia's best-loved symbols — from the quirky to the official, and those with the power to make a nation.
Rod Quantock will speak about his views of Australia's symbols and introduce a 'snapshots' segment. Each speaker in this section is an author of one of the chapters from Symbols of Australia (edited by Melissa Harper and Richard White) and will discuss the Australian symbols which they wrote about:
- The Sydney Harbour Bridge: Peter Spearitt, University of Queensland
- The Billy: Melissa Harper, University of Sydney
- The Kangaroo: Linda Thompson
- The Rainbow Serpent: Shino Kinoshi, Australian National University
- Cooee and the Sydney Opera House: Richard White, University of Sydney
Public conversation: Bowled over by Gideon Haigh
Sunday 20 June 2010
Journalist, acclaimed cricket historian and devoted club cricketer Gideon Haigh will explore the changing value of the baggy green and its significance as a symbol of Australia with sportswriter John Harms.