Exploring Australia's iconic objects and images
When you think of 'Australia' what are the first images that pop into your head? Perhaps you imagine the red outback or the Sydney Harbour Bridge, or maybe our sunny beaches.
In Symbols of Australia students investigate Australia's iconic objects and images through object handling and gallery exploration, and consider how representative these symbols are of Australia's identity or identities.
Please note that this program is not available in 2015.
|Group size||30 students – two groups can run concurrently|
|Cost||$6 per student|
|Availability||Tuesday–Friday at 10am and 1pm
Alternate times may be available for local schools. Please contact email@example.com for further information.
||Australian History curriculum links to our programs (178kb PDF)
- Introduce students to the concept of a symbols.
- Enable students to make connections between familiar symbols and how they represent the Australian identity or identities.
- Introductory activity – students are introduced to the concept of a symbol. Working in groups, students investigate a collection of objects that symbolise an aspect of Australian life.
- Gallery activity - students explore the Museum's galleries and participate in a Symbols of Australia treasure hunt, looking for iconic objects that embody an aspect of our national identity or identities.
- Reflection – students share with the class the iconic objects they found most interesting in the Museum gallery and discuss the kinds of objects that could become symbols of Australia in the future.
Exploring the MuseumFor everything you need to know about visiting, see Plan and book a visit.
You may also be interested in this teacher resource:
- Between the Flags – an education kit that explores the history of surf lifesaving in Australia.
and these interactives:
- Citizen's Arch – explore the symbols and designs on the 1901 Citizen's Arch
- The First Golden Age of Cricket – investigate the lockers of some of Australia's famous cricketers
You can also see the full list of resources related to Australian history.