Analysing the National Museum of Australia's 'settlers and settling in' module
Curriculum areas: Australian history, historical skills, English
Key curriculum links: Time, Continuity and Change; Culture; Natural and Social Systems; Investigation, Communication and Participation.
In this unit, students explore the nature of 19th-century pastoral settlement in eastern Australia, using images to create their own story of pastoral settlement in Australia at that time. Student activities included in this unit cover the following topics:
- Imagining a sheep station
- What themes in Australian history does your property tell you about?
- Interrogating museum objects from a nineteenth century pastoral property
- Testing your ideas
- Identifying gaps in your story
- How is a museum display created and curated?
- Telling your story of nineteenth century pastoral settlement in Australia