Exploring social change over time 1945–2000
Curriculum areas: Australian history, English
Key curriculum links: Time, Continuity and Change; Culture; Natural and Social Systems; Investigation, Communication and Participation.
Considers social change in Australia from 1945–2000 through an exploration of source material – objects, images and documents – presented in the Miss Australia exhibition.
The student activities included in this unit cover the following topics:
- The Miss Australia competition – An overview
- Interrogating a museum object
- What does a study of the Miss Australia competition tell us about social change across the decades of the 20th century?
- Exploring the exhibition
- Miss Australia (PDF 4.7 MB)
- Miss Australia (PDF 3.9 MB)
Black & white – smaller file
- Activity 1 (PDF 746.4 KB)
Interrogating a museum object
- Activities 2 and 3 (PDF 679.8 KB)
Social change 1908–49
- Activities 4 and 5 (PDF 438.5 KB)
Social change in the 1950s and 60s
- Activities 6 and 7 (PDF 276.6 KB)
Social change in the 1970s and 80s
- Activities 8 and 9, Conclusion (PDF 384.3 KB)
Social change in the 1990s and from 1908–2000, Conclusion