Assessing a museum display: interactive activities
Bells Falls Gorge interactive
The National Museum of Australia has a display area on the nature of the contact between Aboriginal people and those who arrived after 1788 and moved into frontier areas. The contact varied from place to place. It could involve conflict or cooperation. Displays in the Museum show this variety of responses.
There has been controversy about one exhibit, the 1823–25 'Wiradjuri War' in the Bathurst area of New South Wales. The display raises issues about how we know what we know about the past.
- take a tour of the display
- analyse it by calling up a set of criteria and questions
- consider the conclusions of observers
- decide for themselves what they think
- How do museums represent history? – unit of work