Welcome to the National Museum of Australia – a great destination for families both online and in person. The National Museum of Australia is a wonderful place to connect as a family. We offer fun intergenerational, hands-on learning that is entertaining, stimulating and educational, all of which engage with the themes of the Collection and exhibitions.
Discovery Space school holiday program and photos
Workshops and photos
Festivals and photos
The Museum's 3D virtual reality theatre
Online games and interactives
Programs for children with a disability
The National Museum exhibitions change regularly, so check out our current exhibitions on the website. In our galleries there is much to see with kids. Our Visitor Services Hosts will enhance your visit with interesting insights and intriguing information. Here are some of the many highlights to watch out for during your visit:
- Enter the spectacular revolving cinema Circa – take some time off your feet.
- See the Thylacine, Kangaroo, Platypus and other unique Australian animals.
- See the Wiggles t-shirts and the Playschool flower clock.
- See Rolf Harris’ wobble board.
- Check out the handling collection in the cupboards at the gallery’s entrance.
- See the massive mining bucket and working windmill.
- Follow the animal trail (toddlers) or complete the Lets Explore Landmarks! activity book (PDF 1.33mb)
- Play with the Never Enough Grass multitouch interactive filled with 3D animations and models, sheep breeding and cattle herding games and more.
- Enjoy the Frieze – a great audio and visual feast of indigenous life and culture.
- Kids can audition as a volunteer announcer at the Goolarri interactive radio recording studio. At the end of the session, they can hear their broadcast played back.
- Visit the paddle steamer Enterprise, moored on Lake Burley Griffin.
Note: due to lowered lake levels we have cancelled inspections and steamings until further notice.