Welcome to the National Museum of Australia – a great destination for families both online and in person. The National Museum is a wonderful place to connect as a family. We offer fun intergenerational, hands-on learning that is entertaining, stimulating and educational, all linked to the Museum's collection and exhibitions.
Regular school holiday Discovery Space programs at the Museum.
Free activity sheets, online games, interactives and video.
Special activities and performances linked to major events and exhibitions.
There is much to see and do with kids in our exhibition galleries. Our Visitor Services Hosts will enhance your visit with interesting insights and intriguing information. See our exhibitions page for details of what's on show. And don't miss these highlights:
- Enter the revolving Circa cinema for a spectacular introduction to the Museum.
- Check out the handling collection in the cupboards at the gallery's entrance
- See the massive mining bucket and working windmill
- Follow the animal trail for toddlers or complete the Lets Explore Landmarks! activity book (PDF 1.33mb)
- Try the Never Enough Grass interactive, with its animations and models, cattle herding games and more.
- See the thylacine, kangaroo, platypus and other unique Australian animals.
- See t-shirts worn by the Wiggles and the flower clock from Play School.
- See the Little Red Riding Hood wall-hanging and learn more about Australia's best cricketers.
- Enjoy the frieze – a great audio and visual feast of Indigenous life and culture
- Audition as a volunteer announcer at the Goolarri interactive radio recording studio, then hear your broadcast played back.
- See one of the world's oldest working paddle steamers, the Enterprise, moored on Lake Burley Griffin.