At a glance
- 3.75 litre, four-cylinder, four-speed
- Rare vehicle from George Green's Motorcade Museum
- Parliament House opening 1927
- Once the car of choice for European royalty
Car for a tsar
It is believed this 1913 Delaunay-Belleville Tourer was used during the 1927 opening of Parliament House in Canberra. Before the First World War the Delaunay-Belleville was the car of choice for European royalty, including Tsar Nicholas II of Russia and King Edward VII.
This car came from the estate of George Green's Motorcade Museum and is extremely rare. It has a 3.75 litre four-cylinder engine and a four-speed gearbox. Refurbished in the 1950s and 1970s, it sports many non-original features, from its vinyl upholstery to its yellow body.
Conserving vintage cars
Museum conservators consider not only the age of this Delaunay-Belleville Tourer to be significant, but its restoration and use prior to its 1982 acquisition by the Museum are an important part of its story.
Its 1950s and 1970s restorations are seen to be significant parts of the vehicle's history, and have been preserved. As with other vehicles in the Museum's collection, both the form (the car's physical appearance) and function (its ability to be driven) are conserved.
This maintains and conserves its mechanical systems and minimises deterioration.