The 'Miss Australia' crown made with a silver-coloured metal in a wattle-leaf design, inset with cultured pearls. On the top of the crown are small gold-coloured figures of a kangaroo and an emu, standing either side of a upright centrepiece which features a large natural pearl. The crown is lined with blue velvet, which is, in turn lined with white netting.
The crown was donated to the Miss Australia Quest organisation by Latvian migrants and jewellers Mr & Mrs James Greenfield, who wished to show their appreciation for being able to escape World War II in Europe and create a new and successful life in Australia.
Miss Australia Company collection
The Miss Australia Quest (from 1992 known as the Miss Australia Awards) ran continuously from 1953 to 2000 and was arguably the longest running, most popular and most successful charitable enterprise in Australia's history. The first documented nationwide contest to identify Australia's ideal woman was held in 1907, however the first official use of the title 'Miss Australia' is more generally thought to have been used in relation to 'Miss Australia 1926' - Beryl Mills from Western Australia. Further contests were held in 1927, 1937, and from 1945 until 1950. It was in 1953 when Bernard Dowd (manufacturer of Hickory USA lingerie in Australia) and his company Dowd Associates took over running of the competition that the Quest became a registered business enterprise, and the 'search for Miss Australia' gained momentum. From 1954 until 2000 the Quest ran primarily as a fundraising event for the Australian Cerebral Palsy Association (ACPA), and is estimated to have raised over $90 million for people with cerebral palsy. Over its lifetime, the Quest reflected many of the changes that took place in Australian society: changing roles and perceptions of women; changing views of people with disabilities; the influence of migrants and 'New Australians'; and the presentation of Australia and Australians overseas.
Mr Ernest Booth
Metal - non specific, Textile - non specific, Pearl