1913 Delaunay-Belleville Tourer
A 1913 Delaunay-Belleville Tourer. The yellow body is a replica, which was fitted in the 1960s, and it has black mudguards and running boards. The interior has been refurbished and it is upholstered in brown leather. The car has a 3.75 litre four-cylinder engine and a four speed gearbox. Engine number 5243V. Chassis number IA4.
Collection statement of significance
Green's Motorcade Museum collection
The 'Green's Motorcade Museum collection' consists of a restored yellow Delaunay-Belleville 3.75 litre tourer manufactured in Paris, France in 1913 and an associated dating certificate issued by the Veteran Car Club of Australia. This prestigious car is thought to have been imported to Australia by the prominent Osborne family of Gundaroo, NSW. It was later owned by the Sibley family, also of Gundaroo, and several private collectors before being acquired for the National Historical Collection in 1982.
Representative of a coachbuilt marque favoured by royalty, this Delaunay-Belleville reflects the rise of the automobile industry in the early twentieth-century and the import of increasingly sophisticated European and American vehicles to Australia. This car also offers insights into the domestic life of two prominent families in the NSW Southern Tablelands during the early twentieth century and the collection of car culture in the private sphere.
Cann & Co.
RestorerPlace of restorationSydney, New South Wales, Australia
Green's Motorcade Museum
Place of restoration. Production placeGundaroo, New South Wales, Australia
Place of use. Production placeParis, France
Place of engine and chassis manufacture.Production placeCamden Town, England
Place of body and fittings manufacture.Production date
1913 - 1914
Engine and chassis were manufactured in 1913. Body may have been manufactured in early 1914.Date of restoration
1968 - 1970
Date of restoration project by George Green and associates.
Associated personJames B. Osborne
First owner, vehicle registration number then was 10550Associated organisationDalgety & Co.
Thought to have imported the car to Australia in early 1914.Associated organisationGreen's Motorcade Museum
Purchased the car in 1958, and began restoration project in 1968.Associated personGeorge Green
Owner of Green's Motorcade Museum.Associated placeGundaroo, New South Wales, Australia
When owned by Osborne family at Bowylie Station via Gundaroo, and Sibley familyAssociated placeQueanbeyan, New South Wales, Australia
When owned by Robert (Bob) BeerAssociated placeCanberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
When owned by Murdoch McDonaldAssociated placeSydney, New South Wales, Australia
When owned by Green's Motorcade MuseumAssociated placeOld Parliament House, Parkes, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
At the opening ceremony on 9 May 1927?Associated date
Owned by JBN OsborneDate of event
Thought to have been at the opening of Parliament HouseAssociated date
Ownership transferred to Robert (Bob) BeerAssociated date
Ownership transferred to Murdoch McDonaldAssociated period
1968 - 1970
Restored by George Green Associated date
Ownership transferred to the NMA
Wood, Metal - non specific, Leather, Canvas, Brass, Glass, Rubber, Textile - non specific
Back | New search
| Send us feedback on this object