A photograph of W.H. Treloar and Harry and Don Wurfel with an aircraft. The photograph is a black and white print with a glossy finish. The inscriptions on the back read "BRIM", "H.J. WURFEL in cockpit, Capt. TRELOAR standing.", "May 1920".
This Airco DH 6 was delivered to Point Cook Central Flying School (serial C9374) in 1918, and sold to Harold Treloar for commercial flying activiites. Treloar piloted the de Havilland biplane on a tour of towns in the north west region of Victoria, including Brim, Hopetoun, St Arnaud and Horsham, where it became known as the 'flying billboard' due to the wings and fuselage of the aircraft being covered in advertisements as part of Treloar's barnstorming efforts. In 1921, Treloar sold the aircraft to Shaw-Ross Engineering and Aviation Company when it was registered as G-AUBW.
Eric J Treloar collection
Born in Hamilton, Victoria in 1889, Harold Treloar was employed as a driver for Young Bros Auctioneers in Horsham from 1908, and then a motor mechanic and driver at McDonalds Garage in Hamilton from 1911. During 1912-13, Treloar was employed as a mechanic and driver at the Ballarat Motor Works. Treloar developed an interest in aviation and travelled to England where he was accepted as a pupil at the British and Colonial Aeroplane Company Limited in June 1914 for training in piloting and maintenance of aircraft. Treloar continued his training at the Point Cook aviation school after enlisting with the Australian Imperial Force (AIF) in 1914, and began service with the Australian Flying Corps (AFC) in 1915. Treloar was one of the first members of the AFC to enter war service as part of the Half Flight sent to assist the Indian Government against Turkish forces in April 1915. In August 1915, Treloar was reported missing and then confirmed a prisoner of war, remaining in captivity until November 1918. After returning to Australia, Treloar explored a number of commercial aviation interests, entering aerial races and offering joy flights during tours of Victoria and parts of New South Wales. He was employed as an aviation officer for the British Imperial Oil Company Ltd in Adelaide, a subsidiary of the Shell Transport and Trading Company (becoming the Shell Company of Australia Ltd in 1927), from 1920 to 1940.Date photographed
Paper, Photographic emulsion