A photograph relating to the Bleriot Flying Course. The photograph is a black and white postcard with rounded edges, and a matt finish. There are two inscriptions on the back. The inscription in pencil reads "No. 15305. July 1914 - 45 h.p. ANZANI Radial engined Bleriot monoplane. The inscription in ink reads CRICK - Australian Bleriot pupil: Treloar - Aust. Bleriot extended course pupil: Cooper - Bleriot pupil Australian: STUTT, Bristol Instructor Australian. All from the land of the Southern Cross."
Harold Treloar travelled to England in April 1914 to attend the Bristol Flying School and then took an advanced training course at the Bleriot Flying School at Brooklands.
Eric J Treloar collection
Born in Hamilton, Victoria in 1889, Harold Treloar was employed as a driver for Young Bros Auctioneers in Horsham from 1908, and then a motor mechanic and driver at McDonalds Garage in Hamilton from 1911. During 1912-13, Treloar was employed as a mechanic and driver at the Ballarat Motor Works. Treloar developed an interest in aviation and travelled to England where he was accepted as a pupil at the British and Colonial Aeroplane Company Limited in June 1914 for training in piloting and maintenance of aircraft. Treloar continued his training at the Point Cook aviation school after enlisting with the Australian Imperial Force (AIF) in 1914, and began service with the Australian Flying Corps (AFC) in 1915. Treloar was one of the first members of the AFC to enter war service as part of the Half Flight sent to assist the Indian Government against Turkish forces in April 1915. In August 1915, Treloar was reported missing and then confirmed a prisoner of war, remaining in captivity until November 1918. After returning to Australia, Treloar explored a number of commercial aviation interests, entering aerial races and offering joy flights during tours of Victoria and parts of New South Wales. He was employed as an aviation officer for the British Imperial Oil Company Ltd in Adelaide, a subsidiary of the Shell Transport and Trading Company (becoming the Shell Company of Australia Ltd in 1927), from 1920 to 1940.Date photographed
Paper, Photographic emulsion