Achievement of the Museum's outcome is assessed by PBS performance indicators and targets that focus on the continuing development of the collections through:
- acquiring collection items in accordance with the Collection Development Framework
- storing the National Historical Collection in accordance with appropriate museum standards
- conservation treatment to maintain appropriate condition of items
- documentation of the National Historical Collection
- providing access to the Museum's collections, exhibitions, programs and website
- ensuring visitors are satisfied with the exhibitions, programs and services
- meeting core curriculum requirements for visiting schools
- contributing through Museum programs and exhibitions to a new or different awareness or perspective on Australia's history or cultures.
These measures are also seen in relation to the efficacy with which the Museum manages resources and budgets. This year the Museum continued to meet all targets specified for the delivery of its PBS outcome, as the following tables indicate.