The National Museum of Australia - a recognised world class museum exploring Australia's past, illuminating the present and imagining the future.
The National Museum of Australia is committed to three integrated themes:
- people's interaction with the environment
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander heritage and cultures
- Australian society and history.
The Museum recognises that you as a client have rights and responsibilities.
As our client, you have the right to:
- be made to feel welcome and at ease
- be treated with respect
- visit the Museum during opening hours as often as you like
- be stimulated and engaged by our exhibitions and programs
- have fair and equal access to the Museum.
As our client, your responsibilities include:
- telling us what you did and didn't like in a timely manner
- treating our staff, volunteers, contractors and exhibitions with care and respect
- being honest and fair in your expectations.
What you can expect from us
If you visit us, we will:
- acknowledge and welcome you on arrival
- inform you through our exhibitions, programs and stories
- provide a range of quality merchandise in our retail outlets
- be friendly and courteous at all times
- answer your questions as best we can
- provide you with information and directions
- ensure a safe and comfortable environment
- provide staff who are knowledgeable and enthusiastic to assist you.
If you write, fax or email us, we will:
- respond to you as soon as possible, but in no longer than 10 working days
- where this is not possible due to the nature of your query, inform you of the time needed to provide a response.
If you telephone us, we will:
- be available between 9.00am and 5.00pm each working day
- welcome your call and always identify ourselves by name and our work area
- aim to resolve your query by the end of the call. If the nature of the call is more complex we will respond to you within three working days.
If you visit our website, we will:
- ensure it is available 99 per cent of the time.
We will ensure that major Museum publications, policies and information are available on our website.
The National Museum of Australia welcomes your feedback, whether it is formal or informal, positive or negative.
If you make a complaint, we will:
- ask you to contact the person you have been dealing with in the first instance. If you believe the complaint can not be resolved by this person, contact the Client Services Manager
- ensure you are treated fairly and with respect
- aim to resolve the complaint on the spot. If, due to the nature of the complaint, this is not possible we will aim to have the complaint resolved within 10 working days or advise you of the reason for any delay
- ask you to be honest and be reasonable in your expectations
- respect your privacy and keep information about you confidential and in accordance with the Privacy Act 1988.
Client Services Manager
GPO Box 1901
Telephone: (02) 6208 5006
If you are dissatisfied at any time with our handling of your complaint, or feel that your complaint has still not been dealt with satisfactorily (after using the Museum's process), you may contact an office of the Commonwealth Ombudsman.
GPO Box 442
Canberra ACT 2601
Telephone: 1300 362 072 (toll free)