The Council of the National Museum of Australia announced a review into the Museum's exhibitions and programs soon after the Museum opened on Acton Peninsula.
The Museum Council's chairman, Tony Staley, announced the panel and the Committee's terms of reference in 2003. The Committee was asked to examine the aims and content of the Museum's exhibitions and public and schools programs, evaluate the Museum's progress so far and propose priorities for future development of exhibitions and programs.
The review was undertaken by:
- Dr John Carroll, Reader in Sociology at La Trobe University, Melbourne
- Mr Richard Longes, Director, Investec Australia Ltd Investment Bank
- Dr Philip Jones, Senior Curator of Anthropology at the South Australian Museum
- Professor Patricia Vickers-Rich, Professor of Vertebrate Palaeontology and Director of the Monash Science Centre, Monash University, Melbourne.
The terms of reference for the Committee were to:
1. Examine the aims and content of the Museum's exhibitions, both permanent and temporary, and schools and public programs. The examination will include the following:
- whether the Museum has complied with its role and functions as set out in the National Museum of Australia Act 1980, its Charter and other relevant documents
- whether the Government's vision in approving funding for the development of the Museum has been realised.
2. Consider and make recommendations on the future priorities to be addressed by the Museum, including the continuing relevance of its Act, in the development of permanent and temporary exhibitions and schools and public programs.
The Committee held meetings with historians and other academics and called for public submissions, some of which can be downloaded below.
On 15 July 2003 Review Committee chairman Dr John Carroll presented the report into the exhibitions and programs of the National Museum to a special Council meeting at the Museum.
Review of the National Museum of Australia, Its Exhibitions and Public Programs, July 2003 (PDF 315kb)
A Report to the Council of the National Museum of Australia
'National Museum review panel reports'
Media release 14 July 2003
'National Museum reviews its future'
Media release 3 January 2003
Public submissions made to the Review of Exhibitions and Public Programs at the National Museum of Australia in 2003.
Bischoff, Phoebe, Griffith, ACT (submission not available)
Nash, Martha, South Hobart, TAS (submission not available)